Wednesday, March 14, 2007

"I think where I am not, therefore I am where I do not think" - i think....

Lacan's twisting of Decarte's famous phrase: "I think, therefore i am" into "I think where I am not, therefore I am where I do not think" is an interesting concept. to be honest i like Decarte's idea a little better, i find it inspiring and empowering. I read it as an ambitious romantic would read it: i could be whatever it is i want to be, if you put your mind to it.. yada yada yada... but I'm pretty sure that is not what Decarte was trying to convey considering he later reworded the phrase to read: "I think, therefore i exist". thats pretty cool too, but pretty confusing as well. Take an inatimate object - a rock for instance, it does not think, but it still exists.

Anyway, Lacan was working off of the Freudian concept of the unconcious mind when he distorted Decartes original qoute. He was saying that most of a person thinks, their train of thought that essentially makes them who the are, is going on in the unconcious mind - where the person "is not'. the second part of the qoute kind of confuses me, and if anyone out there wants to throw some insight this way it would be apprecaited... perhaps an enthralling conversation will ensue....

No comments: